© 2013 ACWD

History

The Church was originally built in the town of Moore's Flat in Nevada County, just south of Alleghany in the late 1800s.

In the early 1900s the town of Moore's Flat was fading fast and Alleghany was growing. The Catholic Church decided to move the building to Alleghany. The Church was dismantled and hauled by ox-cart to Alleghany. The building was re-assembled on a plot of ground donated by resident Albert Holmes.

In 1917 Saint Michael's was dedicated. The Church was actively used for Catholic Services until the 1960s.

Non-denominational services were started in the late 1970s, but had ceased by 1980.

In 1995, the Catholic Church sold the building to a private party. Again non-denominational services were held for a short time and the Library was moved to the building at that time.

In December of 2004, Jim Roos, the owner of the building, donated it to the Alleghany County Water District for use by the community. The Alleghany branch of the Plumas-Sierra Library is still housed inside.